Everything we do is designed to provide return rates that meet or exceed IUF's goals—both annually and over the long term. We avoid taking undue risks in any single asset category, which reduces risk at the overall portfolio level.
Indiana University ranks third in the Big Ten for total voluntary support, the sum of private-sector gifts and non-governmental grants received by the university in fiscal year 2015.
Strategies we invest in
To safely maximize our returns, we invest in a number of different strategies:
- Public Equity includes U.S. equities, international developed market equities, emerging markets equities, and directional (long/short) hedge fund strategies.
- Private Equity includes venture capital, buyouts, and special situations (e.g., distressed-for-control, mezzanine, private equity secondaries, etc.,).
- Fixed Income includes investment grade, non-investment grade, and direct lending strategies.
- Real Assets includes private energy, timber, commodities, and real estate.
- Absolute Return includes open mandate, event-driven, arbitrage, multi-strategy, credit-oriented, and global macro strategies.
How our investments perform
Over the past decade, we have outperformed our target weighted benchmark by 0.6% per annum. Thanks to our sizable asset base and compound interest, this outperformance means that our investments are worth nearly $100 million more than they would be if they had been invested in our passive index for the past ten years.